Have you ever wanted to learn about the science behind your skincare? Companies often throw around words like antioxidants, free radicals and cellular damage. But, what do these words actually mean? How does it affect your skin? And most importantly, how do you know which skincare products will help protect you? Well, we’re going to break down everything you need to know about antioxidants and how they help your skin!
First and foremost, to understand how antioxidants protect your skin, you must first understand free radicals. Essentially, free radicals are the result of chain reactions from molecular processes in your body. A “free radical chain reaction may lead to broken cell membranes” (Live Science), damaging your cells. Damaged skin cells on your face can lead to wrinkles, age spots and even cancer. Although free radicals are very common on your skin and are sometimes necessary, it’s when there is an over-abundance of free radicals that a problem arises.
….Which brings us to antioxidants. We all know that antioxidants are good for us, but what are they and what do they actually do? Antioxidants are compounds that help to reduce cell damage by interacting with, and disrupting and preventing the chain reaction caused by free radicals, preventing cell damage. Antioxidants help to reduce inflammation, firm your skin, reduce the appearance of wrinkles, reduce the appearance of scarring, and repair sun damage. Sounds great, right?
Our body naturally produces some antioxidants. However, the number of free radicals that are produced outweigh the number of antioxidants. This is why it is important to supercharge our body with an extra dose of antioxidants whenever possible in order to help overpower the amount of free radicals. Additionally, as you age, your skin slows down the production of essential vitamins and minerals making it more susceptive to free radical formation and damaged cells.
So how can you make the most out of your skincare to get those extra antioxidants that your skin needs? Make sure that you’re picking skincare products that contain antioxidant-rich ingredients. For example, Breadfruit flowers, which are a unique ingredient only found in the Altilis Beauty skincare line are a rich source of unique phytochemicals, including the flavonoid Artocarpin. Artocarpin has proven UV-protective and anti-cancer properties. The breadfruit flower compound in our skincare line, including our Complete Skincare System, is an effective antioxidant that scavenges free radicals that damage and age skin. Here is a list of antioxidants found in our products:
- Breadfruit Flower Extract - A powerful antioxidant, 50 x more powerful than vitamin E at the concentration used in our formulas.
- Trans-Resveratrol - The key antioxidant found in red wine and grapes, it is also a skin brightener and excellent at reducing redness associated with acne and rosacea.
- Vitamin C - A powerful antioxidant found in fruits and vegetables, it brightens and lightens the skin. Underneath SPF products it enhances the protection and promotes repair and healing of sun damaged skin.
- Ferulic Acid - This antioxidant is actually more active when exposed to sunlight - which is when you want antioxidants to work best! It also stabilizes Hyaluronic Acid and Vitamin C for maximum performance. Antioxidant for age prevention.
- Hemp Seed Oil - Contains antioxidants including tocopherols (Vitamin E).
- Kukui Nut Oil - Contains antioxidants. Excellent for sensitive, dry, combination, acne prone and aging skin.